Jared: MUOS-3 rides an Atlas V 551 to orbit
The third of five planned Multi User Objective System (MUOS) satellites, MUOS-3 ripped the night skies apart on January 20th during its ascent to orbit aboard an Atlas V launch vehicle. The Atlas V, flown by United Launch Alliance, comes in a variety of configurations, this particular flight utilized the 551 variant, sporting a 5 meter payload fairing, 5 solid rocket boosters, and a single Centaur upper stage engine. The MUOS constellation is used by the United States military to facilitate real-time satellite communication around the globe.
Stunning, full color photo book covering every east coast launch spanning 2014-2015, including the first-ever powered landing of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.More Info
- SpaceX Launches GPS-III Satellite
- Rocket Motors for First Artemis Moon Mission Arrive at Kennedy Space Center
- Starlink 8 Firsts Include Rideshare, Fastest LC-40 Cadence, All-Female Weather Crew
- Kathy Lueders Selected to Lead NASA’s Human Spaceflight Office
- ASTROBOTIC Awarded $199 Million Contract to Deliver NASA VIPER to Moon